Elevating the performance of leadership in any organization leads to greater commitment and accountability and generates exponential returns. Poor leadership strangles productivity, extinguishes creativity, and crushes employee engagement.
If you lead or have led in any size business, I’m sure you’ve seen first-hand the effect leadership has on performance. This explains why leadership development is a top priority for many companies. Most growing organizations spend more on leadership development than any other training category. Equipping people to lead effectively is not an easy task, and those charged with developing leaders in today’s high pressure, uncertain, complex, and ever-changing world face increasing challenges.
Leadership Statistics Impacting the Future of Today’s Businesses
- 10,000 baby boomers are retiring each day
- 48% of the workforce will be millennials by 2020
- 67% of millennials are looking for a new job
- 91% of millennials plan to stay at their current job fewer than 3 years
- 84% of organizations anticipate a shortfall of leaders in the next 5 years
- 83% of organizations say it is important to develop leaders at all levels
- Only 5% have fully implemented development at all levels
- 25% of organizations say less than 10% of critical leadership positions have ready and willing successors
- 58% of organizations top priority is closing leadership skill gaps
- 43% of organizations top priority is closing gaps across all leader levels
- Only 18% of organizations say their leaders are “very effective” at meeting business goals
- 19% of organizations say they are “very effective” at developing leaders
- 71% of organizations do not feel their leaders are able to lead their organization into the future.
All statistics are from Brandon Hall’s State of Leadership Development 2015: Time to Act is Now.
Leadership at All Levels
The 2018 Deloitte Global Human Capital Trends report showcases a profound shift facing business leaders worldwide: The rapid rise of “social enterprise.” “This shift reflects the growing importance of social capital in shaping an organization’s purpose, guiding its relationships with stakeholders, and influencing its ultimate success or failure.” Having an aligned culture with a clear mission, vision, and core values, along with initiatives and actions tied to strategic objectives everyone understands, is crucial for leadership to happen at all levels. Moreover, “executive leaders who regularly collaborate on long-term interdependent work are a third more likely to expect their companies to grow at 10 percent or more within a year, than those leaders who function independently.”
Leadership at All Levels Includes:
- Current Leaders: Senior, Mid-level, & Lower-level management
- Emerging Leaders: Leads, and/or leads moving towards management
- Every team member leading in their own roles, regardless of their title
Align culture at all levels!
The Traits of High Performance Executive Leaders and Managers
- They enjoy learning their team members’ strengths.
- They purposefully discover what motivates each person.
- They match talent to task.
- They trust workers to do their best.
- They get out of their workers’ way.
The Benefits of Investing in High Performance Leadership at All Levels
- Benefits to Companies
- Attract & retain high performing employees
- Develop highly-skilled employees
- Reduce turnover costs, increase productivity, increase revenue
- Engage a more diverse workforce
- Increase equity value for owners and shareholders
- Prepare for contingencies and critical transitions, planned and unplanned
- Benefits to Workforce
- Increased skills
- Higher wage opportunities
- Value added credentials
- Pathway towards career advancement
- Greater personal growth, job satisfaction, and opportunity for engagement
A Call to Action
Now is the time to prepare your business for the leadership challenges of today and tomorrow. If you are a business owner, C-suite leader, or emerging leader, invest in high performance leadership for yourself and those you lead. Staying ahead of the competition is not only about what service or product you bring to market, it is about the mindset and performance of the people that make up your workforce and the investment you make in developing everyone on the team as high-performance leaders. And for business owners, developing the bench strength of your potential successors is an essential component of your equity value, and one that is often overlooked until a critical transition sneaks up on you, and there is little time to prepare an effective succession plan.
If you would like to know more about high performance leadership training solutions, please contact VisionOne High Performance Group today. Our team members will be there to listen to your leadership development challenges and walk you through a customized leadership development program that fits your organization’s needs.